Why have I finally decided to post on my blog that was created in December of 2019
When I first set out to start this blog it was to inspire myself and anyone else who would listen. The truth of the matter is, I LOVE to RUN! I need to run! It is my passion in life that makes me feel like I can do anything.
Hi, my name is Elizabeth and just like so many others I have allowed life to get in the way of my true passion. When I first started this blog in 2019, I was on a mission to run my first marathon in 2020! This has always been my goal except I wanted to run it before I had turned 40 (too bad so sad).
Now, I don’t really consider myself an avid runner however it is something that I really love. Whether I was healthy or not, I have always kept at it. I have completed numerous organized runs including 2 half marathons, but never a full marathon. I swore 2020 was going to be my year!!! Needless to say, 2020 was not much of anybody’s year. In an effort to keep this brief, here is a rundown of my training for the marathon in 2020, at least from what I can remember.
- January was naturally a good month to start, (typical New Years resolution) I was eating somewhat healthy, reading a few running books to inspire me and doing my thing on the track (running outdoors/or treadmill). I had even taken my measurements and locked in my weight (162 lbs.) Yikes! I started the year in the worst shape of my life. If you are thinking this weight is not that bad, consider my height, 4′ 11″. Technically, I was considered obese.
- February-March was a blur because I wasn’t tracking my progress. Fatigue was at a high and I was drinking a ton of alcohol, I guess you can say I was making up for lost time. Just a tiny bit of history about me, I love to drink beer, eat pizza and watch football! Once I get going, I’m usually at the point of no return, but I survive. By the time March was over, COVID hit and I knew I wanted to make a change in order to stay healthy.
- April-June I was doing well. I had decided to cut out alcohol entirely and started running again. My motivation was back and I was going to stay committed. Somewhere during this time though, there was a mountain lion spotted in my yard. I seen it on the news and said, OMG that is my house and there is a mountain lion right by my car. I remember it was morning and the sun was coming up. After that, I was frightened to set foot outside. The mornings were my peak running times and I was traumatized but very grateful that I was too sore to run that morning.
- July-Mid November was my worst. I had stopped running because of the mountain lion sightings and soon after I had developed some unexpected back pain which put me out of work until the middle of November. I ended up having a bulged herniated disc in my lower back and my nerves down both legs had been affected. I had never felt pain like that in my life. Due to COVID, my marathon was postponed until October of 2021. Either way, I was in no shape to do any runs for a while. The neurosurgeon said I would run again and it would be okay, he said I would be able to train soon for my 2021 marathon. A sense of relief set in and although I was impatient, I felt content that I would run again.
- December was a chill month for me. My therapy, yoga and the epidural spinal injections helped alleviate the pain. I took a lot of time to recover while listening to my body, for once! I started having a few beers here and there but nothing over the top to keep me out of the game. At that point, I had been sober for 8 months and I was feeling good. Obviously, with COVID, there was more to my year than just the bullet points here. I can go on and on about the horrific year that has taken a toll on so many, including my own family, but instead I am going to commit to staying focused toward my mission and my point for this blog and that is to RUN.
I am registered for the Long Beach, CA 2021 Marathon! I am feeling good and my mission is to keep this blog as a journal, track my progress (good or bad) and really hold myself accountable with each action throughout my journey.
Goals to Self:
- Be committed to myself by getting back up, even when I feel like a failure
- Be honest to myself by being honest to this blog
- Be positive with each day, good or bad
- Be comfortable with allowing my body to go at its own pace, no injuries please
- Be consistent with posting at least weekly, even if it’s just a quick check in. It’s all about the journey and tracking progress
- Be grateful and remember what it was like to not have the ability to walk, drive, get out of bed and the most terrible of them all to RUN
- Be proud of all of the accomplishments that you will achieve in your journey
- Be aware that the challenge is tough and learn from the mistakes you know are inevitable
January 01, 2021 – Day 1
Along with the Long Beach, CA Marathon, I have also registered for a virtual run that will literally take me all year to complete. The goal of the virtual run is to complete 2021k by 12/31/2021. Once completed, I will receive my recognition medal. This run will be the base of my training.
Today, I weighed in and took my measurements. I have managed to keep off 8.4 pounds and 6.75 inches since last years results. Even though it doesn’t seem like much, it is progress. I am starting off better than I was last year and that is something to be proud of. Today, I logged 3.5 miles and I am feeling hopeful.